• The Days the World Will Never Forget (For Obvious Bad Reasons) – My Story with Automobiles Ep. 1

                    
         23rd of July 1998 - The day I went, inside of my mum’s belly, from a small town to a Hospital in Oporto to be born. And that trip, it didn’t leave any chances for me to choose not to be a petrolhead, it was made in an iconic set of wheels, a 1988 Renault 4L GTL.
         It was a white, slow, rudimentary car but, the Renault 4 outcomes it’s own flaws. It’s rudimentary and slow, maybe because it’s a late 1950’s project, but that didn’t stop my dad from buying one…in 1988. Maybe if he had bought a less interesting car I wouldn’t fall in love with this model, and later with all things automotive, and I wouldn’t be here writing this, which would be a good thing for the readers! (Just Kidding!)
         That car is the reason I’m here today as a car enthusiast, but even with all the sentimental value my dad sold it back in 2004, because of a blown head gasket. Although I’m trying to convince him to get it back since like 2012, I haven’t been able to do it, but at least I’ve found a picture in the internet of what it may look like know, yes, in a forum somebody was able to provide me with a picture of the exact Renault 4L GTL with the Portuguese license plate PE-23-64 and since I’ve seen this picture the idea of getting it back and restore it never left my mind.

    Sad me is sad, photo from the forum guy.


         Restoring ideas aside, back to the story, later my dad bought a Opel Corsa A GT also from 1988, another iconic car to me, that thing was hot hatch! 59 bhp from a 1.3 inline 4 engine! What a machiiiine!!! Ok, it wasn’t a fast car, it wasn’t a Peugeot 205 GTI in the handling department, the brakes weren’t good by any means and the dash plastics made danced in a cobblestone road like a chicken in a heroin trip, but that car once again left a mark in my life. And again, my dad got rid of it, scrapped it after a crash.

    My dad's looked a lot like this one, only in dark grey, the plate OL-54-17
        But, moving on from my dad’s car’s because as you see he got rid of all of them, other cars that shaped me into this petrolhead you see here, the cars in TV, as you can see in this Buyer's Guide I made, the Starsky and Hutch’s Gran Torino, KITT for Knight Rider and so on…

         On the next episode, the story about me learning how to drive!




  • You might also like

    Sem comentários:

    Enviar um comentário